A Vision Becomes Reality
The project is being managed and financed by HRM with many of the main features slated for construction in 2015, including:
- Installation of the Boat Cradle;
- Inclined Plane finishes;
- Excavation and inspection of the Turbine Chamber;
- Design and Construction of the Power House/Turbine Chamber Building and partial elevated flume;
- Exposure and reinstatement of the Tailrace;
- Many addition park features and landscaping; and
- Inclusion of a section of the Trans Canada Multi-Use Trail.
Refer to Plan
HRM staff are working very closely with the Shubenacadie Canal Commission and seek the Commission’s input on almost every aspect of the project. For this the Shubenacadie Canal Commission is very grateful.
Ongoing Commission Initiatives
A sub-committee of the Commission, “The Canal Greenway Committee” has been hard at work over the last while documenting and coordinating the many features and historical background information for the Dartmouth Inclined Plane. They are taking up the challenge to have the mechanical features of the Turbine/Power House Building, including the reaction turbine, cable drum, gears, bearings, etc. drafted and ready for fabrication in 2015.
Anyone interested in volunteering to assist the Commission in its endeavours in any aspect of the Historical Shubenacadie Canal please contact us.
Recent Greenway News